Cough, cough. That unhealthy tree needs to see a doctor.
Not taking care of that dying tree now may come back to haunt you later.
Did you know that if your tree falls onto your neighbor’s property, you may be footing the bill for the repairs? That’s right! If you are a homeowner and have an unhealthy tree in your yard that is close to your neighbor’s home, be aware that you may be liable for damage caused by that tree should it fall on its own due to neglect. While every insurance policy is different, it’s best not to take chances on a potential problem… especially when it’s so easily preventable!
According to the Georgia Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner:
“If you knew [a] tree was dead and/or diseased and you didn’t take action to prevent damage that you knew would likely occur, you may be held responsible or legally liable for such damage or injury.”
So, how do you know if an unhealthy tree on your property might be ready for removal? Here are some signs to take notice of before things get out of hand:
- Does your tree have branches that ‘hang out’ around power lines?If so, call Sharp Tree Service to have those professionally trimmed back before they fall onto the power lines and potentially leave your neighborhood in the dark.
- Are there mushrooms growing around or emerging from the base of your tree? Mushrooms can be an indicator of a condition called Heart Rot, a decaying of the inside of the tree that indicates it may no longer be structurally sound.
- Are there large cavities in the tree? Cavities can be naturally made by weathering, or can be created by human or animal interaction with the environment. Either way, if a cavity is too large or too near the base of the tree or root system, the tree might be in danger of toppling over.
- Does the tree lean heavily in one direction?Take a step back. Does your tree look like it is angling toward the earth instead of growing straight up and down? Chances are it could mean that’s the direction it would like to fall down… possibly taking your neighbors car with it!
- Finally, are there broken branches waiting to fall down? It turns out that the whole tree doesn’t have to come down for there to be serious property damage. Branches and limbs can be pretty heavy on their own, don’t forget!
Well, there we go. A few things to look out for that may help save you time and money… not to mention keeping things friendly with the neighbors. So, if your tree is exhibiting any of these five warning signs of unhealthy trees, then call Sharp Tree Service right away! Thanks for reading and be sure to check back here soon for more helpful tips on maintaining the trees in your neck of the woods!